Monday, August 16, 2010

work weight... or is it "work, wait"?

I've been ignoring for quite some time the fact that I will be returning to work next week. Once we returned from camping I started getting my mind prepared. Yesterday I put in a solid four hours (during Neila's naps) on the computer prepping lessons and clearing inboxes. Today, however, I realized the true weight of my profession. I heading onto campus to start putting my room together.

Before I started teaching first grade I thought it would be a great position to hold while you raise a family -- summers and holidays off, weekends always free, and hey you're home before the sun goes down. Little did I know that the life of a teacher is seldom that sunny during the school months. I LOVE my job. It is strange to say it, I absolutely LOVE the late nights, bringing work home on the weekends, scouring the internet for new lesson ideas - all of it. There is something so satisfying about nailing a lesson you've created and watching as all twenty little faces looking at you smile with excitement that they got it!

My first year I easily worked 60 hours per week - and a happy 60 hours at that. Now that I'm also a mom, I want to have both: an amazing classroom and an amazing home. How can I figure out a way to balance the weight of both?

No comments:

Post a Comment